mobile navigation
scheduleSCHEDULE
close buttonClose Menu
close mobile menuClose Menu

CALL
NOW!

540-685-0106Discounts for Seniors, Veterans & Disabled

SCHEDULE SERVICE

mobile navigation
scheduleSCHEDULE

Deathly silence: Southern Trust can ensure your family is safe from carbon monoxide

by ripleypr on November 10, 2017

Carbon monoxide a common killer from improper generator, gas use

Many hurricane victims perish long after the storm has passed, leaving darkened homes with no electricity in its wake.

The cause: Carbon monoxide poisoning from improper use of generators indoors, or the inappropriate use of gas grills indoors.

Other gas-fired appliances can pose a risk for carbon monoxide poisoning, too.

The experts at Southern Trust can ensure your existing generator is working properly and the user is properly schooled in its safe operation. We can also make sure that all of your gas-fired appliances are integrated into a single alarm system that includes carbon monoxide detectors. We can also install new emergency and backup generators and advise you and your family on the dangers of the odorless, colorless and potentially fatal gas. A permanent, automated backup generator can reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning because it is anchored outside in a safe space.

Generators are very valuable investments that can power your home, prevent food spoilage and keep you and your family comfortable in the midst of extended power outages. They are safe to use in many applications as long as safety precautions are followed.

Here are some guidelines to make sure your generator is performing its vital functions without threatening the health or safety of your family with carbon monoxide, a byproduct of combustion released via exhaust:

  • Never use generators indoors, including crawlspaces, attics and garages, and make sure no exhaust can drift into your home via windows, doors or vents.
  • Open doors or windows cannot reduce the risk of CO poisoning if a generator is run indoors.
  • A generator should be operated at least 15 feet away from a home.
  • Make sure you have multiple carbon monoxide detectors installed at various points in your home.
  • If your CO detector goes off or you begin to feel dizzy, nauseated or fatigued in the presence of a nearby generator, evacuate the home immediately and call 911.
  • A generator needs at least 4 feet of space on all sides to properly ventilate.
  • Carbon monoxide poisoning is not the only potential threat from generators. Improper use can also lead to burns, fires and electrical shock.

Generators can be lifesavers – literally – in the absence of electricity following a disaster. Don’t compound a crisis by injuring yourself or family through improper use.

Contact our generator specialists today for more information on what generator might best suit your needs, or more information on their safe operation.