Southern Trust offers electrical, heating and carbon monoxide safety tips for holidays
Dec 05, 2017
Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year. It can also be the most dangerous.
Cooking, heating malfunctions or misuse, and faulty electrical systems are among the leading causes of fires between Thanksgiving and February, according to Electrical Safety Foundation International. Fires involving Christmas trees and other holiday decorations tend to be more damaging and deadly, as well.
Carbon monoxide poisoning also spikes during the winter months. Southern Trust Home Services can reduce some of these risks in Roanoke and the New River Valley through electrical inspections and the installation of carbon monoxide and smoke detectors. We can also ensure your heating system is up to par, negating the need for potentially dangerous space heaters.
Contact us today for ways we can help your holiday be merry and bright – and safe.
In the meantime, here are some valuable tips to keep your home and family safe during the holidays.
Make sure space heaters have ample clearance from flammable substances and don’t leave them unattended.
Inspect lights for your Christmas tree or other decorations before use.
Don’t overload electrical sockets with multiple extension cords.
Turn off lights and other decorations when not at home or sleeping.
If you have a live Christmas tree, water it every day.
Make sure you have interconnected smoke detectors in and near every bedroom.
If you use gas-fired appliances or gas of any sort you should have interconnected carbon monoxide alarms. Generators should never be operated indoors.
Don’t leave cooking unattended, and don’t cook when heavily intoxicated.
Clean all kitchen stoves and ranges before holiday cooking, including the exhaust hood.
Don’t leave children unsupervised during cooking.
Don’t place Christmas decorations – including stockings on the mantel – within four feet of an open flame.
Check this list twice. Your friends at Southern Trust wish you a very happy and safe holiday season.