Water Damage Prevention Tips
With Atlantic hurricane season less than a month away (June 1 – November 30) our very own Ted Puzio shares tips for protecting your home from water and electrical damage this spring and summer:
Call Southern Trust Home Services for your annual sump pump, air conditioning, and electrical inspections. While we’re there, we’ll share personalized tips for preparing for the storms and hurricanes ahead.
Additional prevention tips include:
- Call a professional to inspect and analyze your home for structural weak points and flooding vulnerabilities.
- Go over your safety plan with your family and make sure everyone knows what to do in the case of a weather emergency.
- Consider investing in a home backup generator so you don’t have to worry about losing power in a storm. If you are using a generator already, have it professionally inspected every year and make sure it is at least 20 feet away from your home (all fuel-burning appliances produce carbon monoxide).
- Fallen tree limbs cause a lot of damage during storms and heavy winds. Take a look at the trees around your property and consider calling in a tree expert to determine if any branches need to be trimmed or cut off before hurricane season begins.
- Inspect and clean gutters and downspouts. Look for damage and loose connections and repair them immediately to prevent water damage to your property. Click here for a guide to common gutters fixes.
- Examine windows, doors, and garage doors for leaks and damage. Consider outfitting your windows with impact-resistant glass. If there is a storm blowing outside, stay away from windows and doors and board the windows up.
- Test your fire extinguishers and teach your entire household how to use one.
- Learn where your gas, water, and electrical shutoffs are located, especially if you are evacuating the home.
While there is a lot you can do to prepare your home for stormy weather, some things require the help of a professional:
- Sump Pumps
- Electrical Safety Inspection
- Backup Generators
- Whole-Home Surge Protection
- Air Conditioning Maintenance
If you run into plumbing, electrical, heating, air conditioning or any other HVAC problems during your hurricane season preparations, rely on the experience and professionalism of Southern Trust Home Services to deliver fast service, expert solutions and our Lifetime Repair Guarantee.
Schedule service using our short online form or call 540-685-0106 for 24/7 service and ask about our discounts for seniors, Veterans and the disabled today.